Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Beware of the Donut Plant


You know those square donuts you see at Dean & Deluca? I've never once been tempted by them based on looks. I saw the episode of "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" where he challenged the Donut Plant owner Mark Isreal (and lost to him) and I still wasn't tempted. Then I found out it was 5 blocks from my apartment and something snapped into high gear and I found myself standing outside of the shop, trying to make a decision on whether or not I was adventurous enough to try lavender donuts.

My choices: cake or yeast? I chose cake (ok, so I chose cake the first time. I went back twice in one weekend...and I've gotten over the shame), and then had to narrow it down from blackout (chocolate), tres leches, lavender, and banana pecan. I went for the tres leches - and I nearly passed out. It was the most perfect donut I've ever had! And I can almost predict that the donut is the new cupcake.

The yeast varieties: creme brulee (it's super small, but packs a huge punch), coconut, peanut butter and jelly, chocolate, vanilla bean.

I highly, highly suggest getting these the next time you're at D&D - or, if you find yourself at Norfolk and Grand (and who really does sporatically?), pop on in to the shop and flirt a little bit with the counter guy. I have it on good authority it'll get you a 2nd free donut.

The Donut Plant is located at 379 Grand St (@ Norfolk).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...