Sunday, October 3, 2010

Ya-Ya for Yara!

Yara_5_10_12

WTSTA sat down with  Yara, the newest jewelry collection on the block generating tons of buzz. Designed by Paula Lapkin, these beautiful  baubles are making a fashion statement on the wrists of the in-the-knows.

When did you start designing?

I've always done some form of design going as far back as when I was 8 years old making friendship bracelets at camp. When I was 13, I had a barrette business and had more customers than I could handle. I started Yära in early 2009 when I just couldn't find jewelry that I really loved and wanted to wear everyday.  I started to create pieces using materials that weren't necessarily meant to be used for jewelry. People constantly approached me asking where I got my jewelry and would beg me to make them something. It really fell into place when I was in a Theory store and the manager commented on my necklace. Two weeks later, I met with the Theory buyers and they made their first order.

Where do you get your inspiration?

My inspiration comes from a few things. I love the ocean and all things that are natural. I also love clean, modern lines.  Almost all of my materials are made in Europe and Greece, so they aren't materials that you see often.  Color also plays an important role in my jewelry.  What is so nice is that season to season and year to year I can change the colors and evolve my pieces to fit the times.   

DSC_0019

What are your favorite materials to use?

I love using metals and leathers the most. The combination of these two materials just works great!

What's your design philosophy?

Simple, timeless but with a bit of edge. I don't like anything fussy or overdone. I prefer things to be sleek and modern.

DSC_0028

Who is the Yara girl?

My ideal customer is someone who loves fashion but doesn't want to look like everyone else. My pieces add a little edge and a coolness factor to any outfit. Whether your style is sexy cool, trendy or preppy, if you layer a few Yara pieces, you add an instant hip quotient.  I have so many different styles and colors that customers can customize their own unique look and make it their own.

By the way, both men and women, of all ages wear my pieces. My kids (9 and 6), my husband and both my parents wear my jewelry and it works!

DSC_0005

Where are your favorite places to travel?

I love Greece and anywhere in Europe, especially Italy.

What does Yära mean?

Yära means Queen of the Sea in Indian. 

DSC_0013

Where can we purchase?

I'm in several high end stores and galleries but the biggest collection can be found at www.YaraJewelry.com.

 

DSC_0029

WTSTA’s favorite piece from the collection (hard to choose!) is pictured above – the Blue Corfu Cuff can be purchased online at www.yarajewelry.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...