Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Super Made Up Awesome Chili

Yeah, what the title says. Pinterest shot of chili since flash photography makes everything look bad ( I should rent a real camera!). I got a new Dutch oven and substituted a bunch of ingredients since I don’t need a huge bottle of oregano, chili powder, etc, and went to town. I must say it was delicious! Oh, and healthy…reduced sodium, reduced fat.

Pinned Image

1.5 lbs ground turkey

1 28oz can tomatoes in adobo, reduced sodium

1 6oz can tomato paste

1 bottle beer (I used what was in the fridge – Heineken)

1 14oz can of chicken stock ( I used Swanson)

1 packet taco seasoning ( I used Old El Paso)

1 can prepared Mexican chili beans ( I used Old El Paso)

1 onion

2 tea crushed garlic ( I used two pop out frozen bits of Trader Joe’s garlic)

any additional veggies wanted – great way to sneak them in. I added peppers.

 

For Garnish:

reduced fat (not fat-free) sharp cheddar

reduced fat (not fat-free) sour cream

green onions

baked Tostitos

 

Dice onion and heat in 2 tb olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes. Add any other vegetables and cook down a few more minutes. Add turkey and cook until brown, using the back of the spoon to break up the meat. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, beer, chicken stock, taco seasoning and bring to a boil. Knock the heat back and simmer about 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Add the prepared Mexican chili beans and cook about 10 minutes longer until beans are warmed. Serve with reduced fat cheddar, reduced fat sour cream, green onions, and crushed baked Tostitos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...