Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Getting to Know Margaux

clary2We took some time out to chat with Margaret and Clary Bosbyshell of Margaux Interiors in Atlanta, who were featured on the cover of Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles. Love what they did with the interiors!

 

What inspired you to go into the mother-daughter business? Has it been a smooth transition?

Clary: Ever since I can remember I wanted to be an interior designer just like my mother. Growing up I was constantly surrounded by beautiful objects, fabrics, and furniture where I begin training my eye. As I got older I also became interested in fashion. I got the opportunity to pursue this interest in Savannah, Georgia at the high-end ladies contemporary boutique, BleuBelle. Though I loved working in fashion merchandising, I came to realize that my true passion lay in interior design. I called my mother and told her I was coming back to Atlanta to pursue a career in interior design. She was at a point where her business had grown so much that she really needed an assistant, so it just made sense for us to start working together. Now I am the third generation in the furnishing business in my family.

Margaret: Yes, it has been a smooth and fun transition. Of course Clary had and still has a lot to learn because it takes years to learn the business, but I have much to learn about new technologies myself, such as Facebook, blogging, etc.

clary3clary5

images via Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles

 

What's the best part about working together?

The best part about working together is being able to creatively bounce ideas off each other and being bluntly honest.

 

Describe your aesthetic/mission. Who is your client?

Our mission is to create a chic and timeless look that reflects the lifestyle of our client. We try to achieve the look that our client desires, with an eye for good design and quality. We reflect our client’s personality and life in our work. We are comfortable doing many varied looks. All our jobs look different.

 

Any favorite designers?

Kelly Wearstler, Barry Dixon, Dorothy Draper, Jim Thompson, Jansen, Nina Campbell

 

Favorite patterns, textiles, treatments?

We are loving China Seas/Quadrille Fabrics right now because they have a happy sophistication. We like a touch of animal print. Jim Thompson’s Duquette silk collection is to die for. Pierre Frey and Manuel Canovas fabrics add the French eye for chic drama and Décor de Paris has fabulous trims.

We love anything Louis the XVI, English Regency, Art Deco, Chinoiserie, motifs, Oriental rugs, Lucite, mirrored pieces, and geometric patterns. It is interesting to mix textures, patterns, old, new, and vintage.

Furniture Lines/Designers we love: Baker, Wesley Hall, Pierce Martin, Hickory Chair, and Oly

clary6

[Ed note]: I love the below room.

clary7

images via Atlanta Homes & Lifestyles

If you don't have a ton of money but want to make a house more of a home, what do you suggest buying?

Just choosing a great paint color can add so much personality. Next, we would suggest purchasing a comfortable, classic sofa in a neutral fabric that is eight-way hand-tied and has a solid hardwood frame so it will last 20+ years. Then add fun accessories, such as pillows and art to reflect your personal style.

 

Tell me about what's hot in color and what people request most frequently.

We personally love purples and fuchsias mixed with grays, but the most requested and popular colors with our customers are seafoam blues, turquoises, and creams.

 

Any design tips?

Choice a great paint color and don’t be afraid to take risks and be adventuresome!     

 

claryMargaret Bosbyshell started Atlanta-based Margaux Interiors Limited in 1982. She has worked all over the country doing everything from a ranch in Colorado to a penthouse in Tribeca, and of course Atlanta homes. Clary joined her last fall. The house that was featured on the cover of Atlanta Homes and Lifestyles  and in this post is of a former California couple that now lives on Andrews Drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...