Friday, April 1, 2011

High Society Hijinks

No, its’ not the name of a Dominick Dunne book – just the only words I could find to describe the classic film, “High Society,” starring the incomparable Grace Kelly with Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra.

In all honesty, this was my first official Grace Kelly movie – I know, I know, pathetic! But I’ve always been an Audrey type of girl. (Ok, more of a Holly Golightly kind of girl.) But Grace can act! She has some comedic chops for sure.

High Society, for those of you as much in the dark as I was, is a 1956 remake of The Philadelphia Story, starring Katharine Hepburn. A cold, bratty woman named Tracy Lord is getting married for the 2nd time and her 1st husband keeps interfering the day before the wedding. To add to the hijinks (ahh, see, I got it in), a magazine is blackmailing young Tracy’s family with une scandale featuring her philandering father. They force her to participate in a story about her lavish wedding, and one thing leads to another and everything gets messed up and then worked out again in the end. Sigh, movies from the 50’s.

Of note in the movie, besides Grace: the fashion! Her swimsuit and cover-up around the pool is absolute and utter perfection. I audibly gasped when she came on screen – I was transfixed on how functional and fun yet classic the clothing was. 

grace_kelly_high_society_1956

{image via imdb}

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...